Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Job Satisfaction.

I like my job. Really, I do. I think I work for a great company that has people who don't always get on my nerves, my boss is great, and we make a really cool product. There is just one small problem...

.......sometimes I get a little bored.

Okay, I lied. I get a lot bored. This isn't just the "I think I'm going to clean my keyboard to get that little piece of Dorito out from under the ALT key with an un-curled paperclip" sort of bored. This is, I don't even know what to look up online anymore, type of boredom.

I've employed all the practical techniques: browsing Facebook & Livejournal (then they got web-filtered, so now I do so through Proxy), MySpace was always filtered, reading up on my friends shenanigans (THE NEXT PERSON TO SAY SHENANIGANS IS GOING TO GET IT!) at www.mrhaironline.com (until that got web-filtered as well because of the "pornography/adult"). I read the La Crosse Tribune online each day, as well as the Duluth News Tribune, unfortunately, The Onion is blocked as well. I read my email from work, my yahoo account, and sometimes even the gmail account. (Thats when I know I am really desperate.) I read www.msn.com every 5-minutes to see if something new was posted. I like to email people at Marquette in a group email and then write back and forth with one while I CC: the other person on a seemingly pointless email.

Don't get me wrong, I do work. I enjoy processing payroll as I view it as a little people puzzle I must construct every-other-Monday. I organize. Design Forklift License's with my mad design skills. Organize some more. I plot of my year by staring at my 36"x48" wall calendar that I've color-coded with Sharpe markers. (That's one of my favorites.) I file things. Do some orientations. Send out offer letters. Take the afternoon "juice" break. Walk to the bathroom a lot to look at myself in the mirror just to make sure my eye-makeup isn't making me look like a rabid raccoon or that somehow a piece of spinach has not magically found its way into my mouth and lodged itself in between my two front teeth. I'll get an email in which to respond. Make some travel arrangements to Hawaii... not for me, unfortunately, but none the less, it makes me happy to be busy. For instance, I just received a phone call from the Radisson saying, "No, we can't rent you 40 rooms at once. Sorry."

And then just when I think I've run out of things to do at work ... I remember I have a blog.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem while temping. I just spent the past hour reading comments on a Slashdot post about coffee, and I don't even drink coffee.

Jackie Rae said...

Slashdot..... thanks for the heads-up.

Coffee gives me stomach aches. Yet, some mornings, I just can't help myself.

ltnjtev,
Rae

Hairtux said...

Digg.com? That and Fark.com would keep you busy, unless your work blocks then. :( Sometimes I can spend long hours browsing Digg, Fark, and Ars Technica, and other days I spend mere minutes before I feel like I've read everything.

dwvcci

Jackie Rae said...

I think my point was aimed more towards finding more work to do. Not more ways not to do work!

ursktl,
Rae

Hairtux said...

Learning can be considered working, can it not? There are many things I learn from Digg and Ars each and every day. Some even applicable to my job!

arxmz

Daniel S. said...

Whoa, I know you're bored when you post here.

Aaron, I really hate recommending that people read digg. It's like telling people to watch footage of rally cars crashing into the crowd. You can't look away but then you're afraid to open the oven door for fear of a rally car shooting out at you. I mean, I love it but god damn it drives me insane.

But basically I do what Aaron does. I read digg and slashdot and a bunch of blogs and I even check this one daily in case maybe you update. I read my forums (and I think I have an account on Aaron's) and play my music and try to invent new things for me to work on.

Then there is this week where I have a deadline looming and I'm worried I won't have enough time to wrap my project up.

I think I just blogged on your blog. Sorry. Happy Birthday again.

vqewkr

Jackie Rae said...

You check it daily? Now that's just crazy talk!

rcynwh,
Rae

Daniel S. said...

Well, it's a force of habit more than anything. It's in my bookmarks.

I won't hold you to updating more than once every year though.

iichnuhc,
Dan

Jackie Rae said...

I will try not to let you down.

ymasntk,
Rae

Hairtux said...

I have to admit Jackie, I check this almost daily as well.

eteqb,
Hair

Jackie Rae said...

I am beginning to feel bad! I had no idea that I had all these (2) loyal followers.

Let me think for a while today...maybe I can conjure up something good.

pzak,
Rae