Wednesday, December 29, 2004

As a lot of us may know, I have a relatively healthy affliction engaging in retail therapy. I am that person, who upon purchasing an item, does experience a certain rush of endorphines which elicits a desireable response. I am, however, not out of control. I purchase well within my means and am simply just boostering my wardrobe with the essentials.

When one decides to go on a trip they often puruse their closet with the approrpiate number of articles of clothing for the said length of trip (then adds a few more of everything for good measure.) This plan has never failed me in the past. Until now....

I am in Boxborough, Massachusets right now ..... with no luggage.

Thats right, I am that poor person who's luggage the airline "delayed."

I flew from Minneapolis on the 27th of December to Philladelphia. Where upon my flight to Providence, Rhode Island was promptly cancelled. No frets, they moved us all to the following flight only thirty minutes beyond the regular schedule. However, the poor man who was rebooking my entire planes flight may have made one fatal error--- did he reroute the luggage as well?

Arriving at the PVD Airport (after a slightly nauseating flight) one procedes to the baggage carosuel. It was a virtual graveyard of "delayed" luggage. "Is that Flight 414 luggage on the ground ours," we questioned hopefully. No, that would be YESTERDAYS Flight 414 from Philly. One day without luggage... no big deal. I can hack it. I've been camping with only one change of clothes before. "Delayed baggage" claim has been entered with a very very eastern sounding representative, who sat amongst piles, almost mountains, or others delayed luggage.

Two days later I am still without all the aformentioned endorphine releasing clothing. Shoes. Makeup. Etc. All that hard work for nothing. I have been surviving quite comfortable because of the graciousness of my host and an impromptu shopping adventure last night. But deep down, even with some new purchases (which up to $150 will be reimbursed by the airline) I still sit here and wonder how much was in that bag. Emtional attachment to my running shoes. Sentimentality to my favorite sweatshirts. Absurd amounts of money on jeans that actaully fit me. I am a materialistic clothes whore.... and I want them back.

I probably should call "Alex" now. He's the uber friendly automated voice prompter on US Airways "delayed baggage" line. "Alex" and I aren't really seeing eye to 01010101 right now.

Beyond that Massachusets/Rhode Island/New Hampshire is great. It's really pretty (from what I can tell) and doesn't quite have that 'run down' feeling that you get when you are in the older cities in Wisconsin and Minnesota. One more thing: if you know my parents or family don't tell them I am here. They have no idea.

Have a great New Years.

---Rae via Massachusets.

5 comments:

Mark Ronsman said...

Ooooooohhh, secret trip. I'm jealous. Just out of curiosity, why is it a secret? Are you off to some other state to pickup some massive drug shipment, or to finally hook up with your long-time online friend, Pedro, who ends up being a 300-pound woman who is desperate for acceptance (and bon-bons)....or what?

Hairtux said...

Oooohhh, well that sucks. Glad you made it out there though. Good decision!

Anonymous said...

Oooohhhhh.... derka derka.

Jackie Rae said...

It's a secret because I never tell my parents anything. I will just repeat again, however, if a flight from Providence to Philly or Philly to Minneapolis does crash on Sunday -- I love you all and tell my family I love them too!

Third full day: Still no luggage. I'm getting really really nervous about it.

And his name isn't Pedro, its Jesus. And he is 300 pounds of pure Mexican love. ;-)

Hairtux said...

What did you end up doing, staying at the neighbor's house all day?