I signed up for a trial offer of Amazon-Prime, where you get 2-3 day shipping for free. It lets you automatically opt-out of their auto renew feature, so no worries about forgetting to cancel and getting charged the annual subscription of $70.00. However, this 30 day trial offer really sucked me in. I went on a binge of book buying with the thought of no shipping costs. Also, when you order a book, if the price drops before it is shipped they will automatically credit you for the difference. One a few different occasions I've received dollars back from Amazon low-price guarantee.
The books I've purchased for my summer reading and why are as follows:
Population 485: Meeting Your Neighbors One Siren at a Time by Michael Perry: I've read about it on a few different discussion boards. A man moves back to small town New Auburn, WI and finds himself meeting his neighbors as his does his job as an EMT.
The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch: I saw this book on an Amazon users "list-mania" of Books That Made Me Cry. This was listed as #1. Apparently i'm a sucker for punishment. I believe the author is a college professor who gets diagnosed with cancer and has something to do with his lecture series that year.
The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb: I've read Lamb's previous best-sellers and enjoy his style of writing. Also, the fact that his books are as thick as dictionaries makes for a good long read for someone who usually plows through a book in a weekend. I believe this book is about a married couple who finds teaching jobs at Columbine High School just before the shootings.
When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris: I love David Sedaris. His books, audio tapes, event readings, etc... I find him fascinating and sarcastic. I brought my brother and my parents to his reading at the DECC Arena a few years back. They were skeptical about what I had convinced them to attend, but by the end they were fans with tears of laughter in their eyes. (P.S. If you borrowed my copy of Me Talk Pretty One Day I would like it back.)
Mommywood by Tori Spelling: The fact that I'm admitting to purchasing this book is a big step. I recently read sTori Telling and found her quite down to earth and funny. I'm in the middle of this one and not enjoying it as much as the first.
The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold: I've read two of her prior books Lucky and The Lovely Bones. All three books are written in a strange surreal style but the story lines are generally captivating. I've already finished this book about a woman who kills her crazy mother by smothering her with a towel and the events that happen because of that incident.
Weeds: Season 4: Okay, so its not a book, but I ordered it from Amazon (it was good deal!). Great season. Tried my best not to watch it all at once, but I think it was done in a weekend.
L.A. Candy by Lauren Conrad: This is one of those books that I never would have bought had I not had Amazon-Prime. Written by the star of The Hills I believe its a "fictional" account of someone who is in a reality show with lots of insinuations to real events or people.
Comparatively, last year, I ordered and read Breaking Dawn (the last Twilight book after having already read the first three), Chelsea Handlers two memoir books, Are You There Vodka? It's Me Chelsea and My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One Night Stands, Chasing Harry Winston by Lauren Weisberger (the author of the Devil Wears Prada), and Possible Side Effects by Augusten Burroughs.
Are you looking forward to reading (or watching) any book or series this summer? Am I the only one who reads anymore?
14 year old Montana ranch kid ropes drowning man out of Yellowstone River
[Hero]
-
[image: Hero] [link] [7 comments]
58 minutes ago
4 comments:
I love Amazon Prime. I sign up for the free trial every Christmas (you can try the trial once per year) and use it to ship all my Christmas presents home so I don't have to carry them on the plane.
Good tip. I was wondering how often they let you sign up for a free trial.
I also enjoy Amazon's "Recommended Books" based on my previous purchases.
One advantage to living in a city of 100,000+ people is they have a kick ass library. Pretty much every book I could ever want they get or will order if you ask them. Good living :)
Ian
I haven't been to a library in a very very long time. Sad but true.
The library in Duluth is located in Downtown Duluth. It's nothing compared to a real big-city downtown, but the congestion, one way streets and lack of free parking definitely keeps me from visiting.
Plus, one time as a child, we stopped to drop some books off on a Saturday ..... went all the way into the building and it was completely deserted. We find out later that it was "closed" and we set off the security alarm. The only thieves I know who return items instead of taking them.
Post a Comment