Sunday, June 27, 2004

Last night: Two pitchers (not all for me but a good share) of Twin Ports Brewery (known as TPB from here on) #1 Ale. Five taps ... five very large tanks.... one bottled beer whose not so famous name escapes me at the moment... and liquor. Things like Jack or Whiskey straight up, no ice. You can't even ask for ice, there is none. How do I know this? I was there about 8 years ago with my parents and I ordered water.... it came, in a glass as expected, warm and with no ice. This is TPB. It's something that previously I had labeled as "an old persons bar." I can still say this since the tables at the bar were manufactured in my (well, my dads) garage and graciously 'donated' to TPB in exchange for a couple/few jugs of homemade ale.

My review of the Ale: Hearty, nutty, slight taste of bark, and the foam on the top reminds one of a real brewery's floor. The drunk rating off the pitchers: a little, but not a lot. It's hard to efficiently slam dark/hearty beer without puking.

The live music of "The Andersons" was pleasing. It was their CD release party. Good for them though I didn't buy one. I'm all about supporting local musicians in spirit, not monetarily.

The other review of the bar (since this is what is seemingly has turned into) is the fact that half of it is non-smoking. It's not a big place, no room dividers. But I was told, graciously as a 300 pound guy can be, that this area over here (insert arm guestures waving towards a vague area in the corner) "is non smoking." I smile, moved the bar stool to the other side of the threshold and continued my aforementioned activity. Warm beer. No ice. Half non-smoking. It's the price you pay for atmosphere.

No comments: