Sunday, June 19, 2005

I Have Such Talented Friends.

I used to be a "runner." I can no longer pass myself off as one, however. It is something that I would so like to blame on the fact that I have had surgeries on the same knee. Unfortunately, I think more then that is the fact that I have just gotten old, accepted my laziness, and proceed to move on.

My friends, however, are fantastic. (And they won't ever admit it.) I ran a 5k race on Friday evening. It was an absolutely fantastic evening for a run. I had a running partner - and we actually came in two minutes less then our goal (though, our goal was awfully poor). I was proud of the fact that I took the initiative to run without being forced. Enter: Saturday morning. My friend Nate, and utterly fantastic friend, ran the Grandmas Marathon. (Not only did he run it, but SIX of his friends did as well. They all finished.) Nate has been struggling with achiles problems for the last two months and never ran more then 14 miles in training. He didn't reach his goal time - but I have never been more proud. And he acts like it was nothing.

I think I've caught marathon fever. After watching some of the people finish I thought to myself, "If those people can do this, so can I." (You can't imagine some of the people who do this!!) So I'm making a two year plan. Next year I'm going to try to do the Grandmas Half - Marathon. I figure I use to run 10 miles in high school with absolutely no muscle soreness I can hopefully train and run 13. Two years from now, if all is going well with my knee (and hopefully the nuisance of a screw removed) I will attempt the Full Marathon. Don't get me wrong - I'm looking at running something just over 5 hours (which besides the fact that one finishes is nothing to brag about) but I think that I would stop being insanely jealous of my friends and start giving myself something to brag about.
b. It was one of the first days that it was over 80 degrees. I must have been wore out from Fridays 5k! The A/C in my room has been set at 66 degrees for the past four hours. My room is very tiny. It is very cold in there. I best go put some pj's on and snuggle up. Its back to work tomorrow.

How long until I forget the idea that I want to run a 1/2 or full marathon? I give myself about two weeks.

2 comments:

Hairtux said...

Nice work Jackie. I want you to train me, I would love to be in shape to run a marathon of some sort. Someday. Until then, you will continue to be my heroine.

Mark Ronsman said...

HA HA, You're just as much of a slacker as I am! You haven't posted in forever either...

Just thought I'd mention it
later