Tuesday, February 08, 2005

A womans right to shoes.

I am involved in a torrid love affair. One that can never be matched by another being. It is sure to be a love that will span the rest of my life without wavering. (Don't tell my boyfriend.... well, if I had one, don't tell him!) I am in love with clothes.

I have inventoried my closet. Please note: that this is only my closet. It does not include the dresser, the clothes stored upstairs in containers because I did not have enough space in my room, nor does it include the clothes at my parents house.

MY CLOSET CONTAINS:
17 pairs of jeans.
6 pairs of 'other' pants.
8 pairs of dress pants.
34 sweaters.
22 hooded sweatshirts.
26 collared shirts. (both dress and polo)
15 skirts.
22 pairs of shoes.
9 jackets.

I know what you are thinking. "You don't wear skirts!" I'm with you there. Yet, somehow, I managed to amass 15 of them. Okay, maybe you were thinking, "Why does anyone need 34 sweaters?" Believe me, I am afraid at this point to even open my dresser in fear of more popping out a-la a jack in the box.

The real attrocity of this comes to when one (me) starts to figure out how much they have invested in their clothing. I alluded to this subject before when I spoke about the airline losing my "precious" luggage. So lets do some quick calculating:

Jeans are of the Lucky, Silvers, GAP variety (with a few Aeropostale to lower the average) so conservatively speaking we are looking at about $55 on average. Thats $935. Other pants are usually of the Limited/Express/Silvers variety so I would average them at about $35. Thats $490. Sweaters range anywhere from namebrand to offbrand so we will average those at about $25. Thats $850. Hooded sweatshirts are usually acquired from Pacific Sunwear and are on the low-end $40 a piece. Thats $880. Collared shirts are both dress from Express and polo from Aeropostale and probably average about $20 with my bargin shopping skills. $520. I usually don't spend much money on skirts so knowing that the ones I own were probably on sale (with the exception of a few more from Express/Limited) we are looking at about $20 a piece. $300 more. Shoes.... wow.... I'd say averaged about $55 a piece putting the total at $1210. Jackets, though a necessity, probably averaged about $45 between Spring and Winter coats. $405.

Lets see what we have now:
$935 in jeans
$490 in other pants/dress
$850 in sweaters
$880 in hoodies
$520 in collared shirts
$300 in skirts
$1210 in shoes.
$405 in coats.

That brings us to a grand total of: ... 5 ... carry the 9.... divide by .45.... .plus 500 .....

$5,590.

I, as a hardworking single women will state now, that absurd amount of clothing is my right. I may be broke but I have lots of sweatshirts to keep me warm in the summer. Plus, I really only wear about $300 worth of it anyways.

And so the day goes and I think to myself: I have nothing to wear.

3 comments:

Mark Ronsman said...

HOLY SHIT does not even capture what I'm feeling right now. That's only how much clothes are in your closet?!?!?!? That is absolutely ridiculous. If I had 17 pairs of jeans, I could grow old and die before I even use 10 pair of them. I don't think that you should buy any more clothes...ever. But we all know that isn't going to happen. I'm just happy that I'll never me married to you because we'd have to build an extra wing onto the house to contain your mass of clothing. WOW

Jackie Rae said...

magicfingers - That obvious was it? (And oooooh, new reader!)

Mark- I'm not sure if your rejoicing about not ever being married to me is an insult or not. Plus, you know me... fashionista I am not. I just like to be comfortable....in lots of different clothes.

Dan- You have pink pants.

Matt- You are the one who said you didn't understand women and clothes. It's more like an expression of my inner self. Does that make me shallow? Yes, definitely!

Jackie Rae said...

You didn't say I was shallow... I did! It's okay if I say it about myself.

So, you do understand women?